Professional Fluoride Treatment in Winston Salem, NC
Throughout our lives, we damage our teeth. It is inevitable, no matter how much care we take with our dental hygiene. Teeth get chipped, braces leave gaps, and all that coffee, sweet desserts, and wine will weaken the enamel, leaving you vulnerable to cavities. One of the easiest ways to prevent tooth decay is through fluoride teeth treatments.
Fluoride has been an essential oral health treatment for decades. This naturally occurring mineral found in water, toothpaste, mouth rinses, and food builds strong teeth and prevents cavities. Unlike naturally occurring fluoride, fluoride treatments contain a much higher fluoride concentration and can only be used under professional supervision by trained dentists or hygienists.
At Zackeru Family Dentistry, we provide professional and highly effective oral fluoride treatments to patients in Winston Salem, NC. These preventative dental care treatments help rebuild tooth enamel through a process called tooth remineralization, in which fluoride is absorbed into your teeth and restores lost minerals such as calcium and phosphate that harden your teeth, making them more resistant to decay. Oral fluoride treatments can also reverse early signs of tooth decay.
Professional fluoride treatments are beneficial to both children and adults, especially those with a higher risk for tooth decay. If you have gum disease, poor oral hygiene, a dry mouth, poor diet, weak enamel, frequent cavities, or if you have braces, crowns, or bridges, you must have regular treatments.
Welcome to the Family!
Is Fluoride Treatment Safe?
Yes! Professional fluoride treatment is entirely safe and used by dentists and doctors worldwide to help prevent tooth decay in children and adults. According to the American Dental Association, these treatments have been proven safe when used as directed. Our experienced dentist Dr. Jeffrey C. Zackeru, DMD, will ask for your complete health history and perform a thorough oral health exam to determine the right treatment for you.
What You Can Expect During Your Treatment
At Zackeru Family Dentistry, our professional fluoride treatments are painless and usually only take a few minutes. The treatments can come in the form of a highly concentrated dental fluoride polish, rinse, gel, or foam and are applied to your teeth surface with a tray, swab, or brush. The treatment can take anywhere from one to four minutes.
Before the treatment, we will thoroughly clean your teeth to remove any plaque, tartar, and debris. The bacteria in plaque produce acids that attack tooth enamel and cause cavities, so it’s vital to ensure your teeth are clean before applying the prescription fluoride. After the treatment, we will ask you not to drink, eat or wash your mouth for at least 30 minutes to allow your teeth to fully absorb the fluoride.
Our dentist might recommend treatments every 3, 6, 12 months, depending on your oral health. But if you’re at a higher risk of developing cavities, we may also prescribe a special fluoride rinse or gel to use regularly at home.
Benefits of Fluoride Teeth Treatments
At Zackeru Family dentistry, fluoride teeth treatments are an integral part of our preventive dental care for children and adults. Fluoride treatments offer several benefits, including:
- Fluoride supports healthy tooth enamel: Acid does more damage to your teeth than simply breaking down the enamel. It also breaks down the structure of your teeth by destroying the minerals that make up your teeth. Fluoride reverses the damage by restoring minerals to your teeth, ensuring healthy, strong teeth.
- Fights the bacteria that harm teeth and gums: By creating a stronger enamel, prescription fluoride treatments can inhibit the growth of harmful oral bacteria and stop the decay from penetrating the deeper parts of teeth.
- Helps prevent cavities: Professional treatment is a preventive therapy that helps your body fight cavities. A treatment will attack the bacteria causing the decay, slowing its progress, and in many cases, actually reversing the process.
- Reduces tooth sensitivity: Weakened enamel can expose the sensitive dentin layer within your tooth, resulting in tooth sensitivity. Treatments strengthen the enamel, reducing sensitivity discomfort.
- Saves you money: It’s no secret that dental procedures can be costly. The best way to save money, in the long run, is to ensure your teeth and gums are healthy by staying up to date with your oral fluoride treatment.
Schedule Your Fluoride Treatment Today!
Fluoride treatment dentistry is an excellent way to help maintain a strong, healthy smile. If you haven’t had a treatment in more than six months, contact the team at Zackeru Family Dentistry to schedule your next appointment. Our friendly staff will clean your teeth and administer this protective treatment so that you can enjoy a lifetime of good oral health.